Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Excuse Me, That's Not Your Bag

That's what I would have said, had I seen the person leaving the airport with my luggage.

I landed in Nairobi Last night at 8:30pm (EAT) and proceeded through customs to baggage claim. 2 of my bags were on the belt right away so I hobbled over as quickly as I could, with a giant ankle, and grabbed them. I then stood there for 20 minutes eyeballing the belt and checking the bags that were on the floor (I still don't know why the Jomo Kenyatta airport staff will take random bags off of the belt).

It wasn't there. So I went to the baggage help desk and they informed me that the bag had been on the plane but naturally their scanners weren't working that day so they hadn't scanned any bags that had arrived. So we knew it was on the plane. I filed the report and they said they would contact me if it showed up.

Thankfully, that same night someone had returned it.
They took it by accident thinking that it was theirs... which is surprising considering it had an Air Canada tag on it with my name and address.

And then I got to thinking... they don't check bags on the way out of the airport. People could just grab like 5 bags and take off.
I'm not trying to give you any ideas but it would have been a good thing for me to clearly mark my bag. I normally do but I got lazy.
And even better... If I had neon green bags, no one would get away.

So long story short.. I have all my luggage now.
The flights were as good as two 7+ hour flights could be without being in first class.
And this week hopefully I'll have a plan regarding house hunting.

Thanks for all the prayers for my travels.

2 comments:

  1. dang... that was quite neighbourly of the person to bring the bag back.

    Gosh darnit all to heck.

    _blaine

    ReplyDelete