Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Favourite Restaurant: Proof That I'm Classy

The best thing about chickens is their delicious wings.

If you live in Ontario or Edmonton, (don't worry rest of Canada, I'm sure you will have the chance soon) you too can experience my very favourite restaurant in the world (so far):
click the logo to visit their website

It's my favourite for three four reasons:
1. It is inexpensive
2. It has 91 sauces
3. You can eat with your hands
4. It's the only restaurant where they laugh at my jokes

I had this idea last year, to try all 91 of their wing sauces in a year (at the time there were 101). Well, it was kind of an unrealistic goal for a single year so it's actually been about a year and a half and I have currently tried 69 flavours. I'm gonna share with you my secrets on how to do this quickly. Then I'll share my fav sauces, my least fav sauces and the ones that scare me a little.

THREE WAYS TO GET THROUGH WILD WING SAUCES QUICKLY

1. Don't get sauces you've already tried. This is a no-brainer. As tempted as I am to get 'sweet escape' every time I go to Wild Wing, you can't try them all if you don't try them all.

2. Go with a bunch of people who want to help you try them all. No one orders the same thing and no one orders a sauce that you've tried before... This gets harder as your untried sauce options decrease, so I suggest going with people who like a little more adventure than 'mild'. This way, you can all trade wings and you've just knocked off a handful of sauces.

3. Get the Sampler. 4 sauce choices, 5 wings per sauce. It's a good meal for two. And if you are saving money, like I always am, boneless is $5 less.

THE SAUCES
Here is the sauce menu. (click to enlarge)

The 91 sauce menu is divided into 13 catagories. If you've never been to Wild Wing before, it CAN be a little overwhelming to choose. I've seen this happen before. I was with a friend who wanted to try something crazy and when the waitress came to take her order she panicked and said "honey garlic". *face palm*
Below are my favourites for each category. They wont necessarily be yours but at least it makes for a less overwhelming list of recommendations.


THE GOOD ONES

THE LEGEND - GOLD RUSH ~ Golden Mustard
LET'S GET NAKED - MYSTERY ~ Better Than the Novel
'HONEY' I'M HOME - AWESOME HONEY ~ Honey Garlic & Mustard
CREAMY 'N' MESSY - BLUE EYED BLONDE ~ Blue Cheese
SHORT 'N' SWEET - RHINESTONE BOOTS ~ Thai & Raspberry
FEELING FRISKY - DILL PICKLE ~ Get Pickled
HOT CHICKS - DESPERADO ~ Medium & Maple
WET 'N' WILD - RED HOT & BLUE ~ Blue Cheese & Hot
SMOKEY BONES - SWEET SMOKE ~ Smokey BBQ & Honey Garlic
BACKYARD BBQ - WHISKEY GIRL ~ BBQ & Buttermilk Dill
GIRLS GONE WILD - SWEET ESCAPE ~ Honey Garlic & Gar Par
HOT 'N' BOTHERED - I AM CANADIAN ~ Mild & Maple
GIDDY UP COWBOY! - LOCK, STOCK AND BARREL ~ Original Cowboy

Next up are the sauces that I most likely will not try again. They weren't necessarily gross, but there are better options.

THE BAD ONES

SPAGHETTI WESTERN ~ Medium, Parmesan & Italian Seasoning
I didn't even taste the medium, I wondered at one point if someone had accidentally dumped an entire bottle of Mrs. Dash 'Italian Medley' in there and just didn't notice. But I've met someone who said spaghetti western was their fav. *shrug*

DUSTY MUCKEROO ~ Honey Garlic & Extra Hot
After trying one of these, my lips burned for half an hour. And it's listed as only 5 flames out of 6!

KETCHUP ~ Like the Chips
I like ketchup, I like ketchup chips but these weren't really like the chips. I think my expectations were too high.

SMOKED CHOCOLATE ~ Smokey BBQ & Chocolate
I couldn't taste the chocolate.

BOUNTY HUNTER ~ Pineapple Curry
Not really my thing.

Finally, the ones that scare me. Which, unfortunately, I will have to face very soon if I am to complete the list. My problem is that some of the 5 flame ones I didn't find too hot (the ones combined with a creamy sauce to help with the heat) but others seemed to burn a lot. So with a couple of these being 6 flames, I'm not quite sure what to expect.

THE SCARY ONES


There are three 6 flame sauces on this list.
SHE'S A HOTTIE ~ If you like it HOT
SWEATIN BULLETS ~ Smokey BBQ & She's a Hottie
RING OF FIRE ~ Extra Hot, She's a Hottie & Southern Heat

I'm not really sure about that last one. I like to be able to taste my food.

So there you have it. My favourite restaurant, my favourite sauces and my top recommendation for a fun group night out for dinner.

Have you been to wild wing? What's your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. You should take me here, I've never been before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have been... more than once... and I liked it. You can't mess up a chicken wing!

    ReplyDelete