Thursday, March 31, 2011

85% and Death by Taxation

I'll let the title speak for itself.
haha.. yeah right.

I started re-looking into flights again.
I like to stay on top of things, know how things work, have my ducks in a row... problem with ducks is that there tend to be stragglers. But I do enjoy feeling knowledgeable occasionally. So I'm entering some tentative dates into the flight search and picking different options to get a handle on price ranges and just as I expected, flights have gone up.

It wasn't a surprise, I'm not worried about that, but when they show you a subtotal that looks decent, expect to have a mini stroke after looking at the total after taxes.









Now, I'm not certain if this is just a geographical tax thing. Like because I'm from the greatest city in the world (Toronto) I have to pay more for the privilege of living here. 
-I can't even type that without laughing. As much as I love my country I'm not nauseatingly patriotic.

But just in case it's hard to read, it says that the flights I was looking up cost $598, and the tax... $556
I'll tell ya what, I'll bring my own food and sit in the bathroom for the whole flight. 
At least then I don't have to share an arm rest.
They are even charging people to be able to choose good seats now.
Gone are the days when the cunning and quick to check-in online could beat their flight mates for the extra 4 inches of legroom. I'm tall! I need leg room! I've worked very hard to make my flights comfortable. And when your average flight is 7.5 hours, leg room is KEY!

Regardless of the cost though, God has really been preparing up a storm and it won't be long before I'm able to get back to Nairobi. And He knows the cost of airfare so I know I don't have to worry about it.
Thanks to everyone for their continued prayers, support and encouragement.

Oh and one last thing.... I don't have a bucket list but for as much as I fly I would LOVE to just once, be upgraded to first class for free. I hear all these stories from fellow missionaries and frequent fliers about upgrades and I'm always chillin' over the wing and being woken up and crawled over when someone needs to go to the bathroom. One day, I hope, i'll experience first class, with a chair that really reclines and extra blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment