Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Wonder If They Can Hear Me

This couch, this noisy wooden couch...
Every time I move it creaks.
And if the sound of the vampires upstairs, stirring around 12:30am on a daily basis, are any indication of how sound travels through this poorly constructed concrete building, then I'm sure my neighbors can hear me.
Do they hear my hips pop when I sit up because this noisy couch is like lounging on a stone?
I wonder if they can hear me shut my bedroom door, or flush the toilet,
or yell at my video game when I blame it for my screw-ups?
Can they hear me like I can hear the ghost from unit 8 who's daily routine is radio, soaps, movies and more radio; all at a level only partially deaf people enjoy their sound systems?

Or how about the baby from the building behind us that is either neglected or abused or both?
I wonder if they can hear me when I'm using my phone on the balcony because it's the only place I have network coverage, or the time I stubbed my toe and let out a very loud four letter word that came to mind after hearing too much snoop dog in a public vehicle.
Did they hear me the night that I had enough and decided the only solution was to cry?

What if we had a constant understanding of being not only heard, but watched in everything we do?
What if... our understanding was that it wasn't any judgmental person who was listening, no nosy neighbors but someone who cared about us? Or if you could simultaneously laugh, cry, curse and carry out your daily routine without receiving a sideways glance from your neighbor in the stairwell.
What if you fully understood that the one who can hear everything is a loving Father and a friend, would you be louder?

Sometimes I try to hide myself from God.
Not purposely.
It's as if I developed this attitude of not wanting to burden Him a long time ago and now it's just a habit.
Sometimes I find myself acting as if God is my neighbor and I do my best to keep the noise down.

But I know He wants to hear me.
He wants to hear when I've had a good day or a bad one.
When I'm tired or when I'm so full of energy I feel like running laps around the neighborhood.
He wants to hear me when I don't know how to handle a relationship or when I feel helpless with so many people in need around me.
He wants to hear me when I have a need.

But He wants to hear you as well.
We can all be noisy together.
If there's something that God delights in, it is nations of people seeking his ears, seeking His eyes and seeking His heart as fervently as He has been seeking ours.

--------------

Side note: it is 12:14am and the 'vampires' just slammed two doors and flushed the toilet. I'm convinced that my neighbors can hear me.

1 comment: