Friday, September 14, 2012

The Rattlesnake And The Man

This morning I woke from a dream unlike any I've ever had before. I was with a man, one I didn't recognize from my life, who was teaching me some things as we wondered through some rooms.

We came to a room that we needed to get through but there was a single rattlesnake in this room. I can't remember what was on the other side of this room but I do remember feeling like I would brave anything just to get there. This man claimed that this snake was assiduous in it's desire to attack him the last time he passed through but he knew how to thwart the snake. 

The next thing I know, I am floating through the room side by side with this man. It seemed as if he intentionally led us to the snake rather than trying to get through the room quickly. He had a large piece of paper that draped down and he continuously positioned us in a way that if the snake struck, we would be defended by this shield. It was working, only I couldn't figure out why this man continued to stay in the corner of the room where this snake was, locked in a dance that seemed frustratingly unnecessary. 


I became fearful the longer we danced there and found myself separated from the man and trying to get to the door. Only, the further I got from the man, the lower I floated and somehow, this rattlesnake had ended up right in front of me. I heard the man call me back quickly. But I froze. Then the man yelled out a direction but it was too late. The snake lunged and just as I woke up, I knew that the 'me' I left in that dream had suffered a fatal bite.

In waking my heart beat quickly but when I sobered up and glanced at the clock that read 5:42am I wondered why I had had such a peculiar dream. I started to pray and asked God if this dream was a message of some kind: if there was something that needed to be brought to my attention. For a few minutes I sat there convincing myself that there was no snake in my room and then this feeling came over me.

There is a snake in my room. There's a snake in my life who wants nothing more than to destroy me. And God is the one who offers a shield and the power to defeat this snake every time it attacks.

Whether this dream was a direct message from God or not, I woke up this morning with a reminder of a fact that should never be forgotten. It is only by Jesus' side that I am safe. It's only when I listen and obey His voice that I am protected. When I stray I am vulnerable to be lured into traps of sin and deceit. I've been there. I never want to be on my own with this snake again. My confidence is in Christ and my victories are His alone.

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
   so why should I be afraid?
The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
    so why should I tremble?
When evil people come to devour me,

    when my enemies and foes attack me,
    they will stumble and fall.
Though a mighty army surrounds me,
    my heart will not be afraid.
Even if I am attacked,
    I will remain confident.

The one thing I ask of the Lord
    the thing I seek most—
is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
    delighting in the Lord’s perfections
    and meditating in his Temple. 

For he will conceal me there when troubles come;
    he will hide me in his sanctuary.
    He will place me out of reach on a high rock. 

Then I will hold my head high
    above my enemies who surround me.
At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,
    singing and praising the Lord with music.

Psalm 27:1-6

1 comment:

  1. I have heard many of my friends have dreams that have caused them to make life changing decisions. Who knows maybe dreams are our sub conscious mind communicating with us?

    ReplyDelete