Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Like a Ton of Bricks

This title seems to blanket my last week in Canada so far.

-Saying goodbye to my grandparents was like a ton of bricks to the gut.
-I sprained my ankle when I slipped down the stairs and hit the floor like a ton of bricks.
-5 days didn't seem so dismal till I looked at the calendar and the nearness of my departure hit me like a ton of bricks.

Seriously... 5 days? Yikes!
I still have a lot more goodbyes to say but I have to take them one day at a time. If I think about them all at once it gets really overwhelming. 
Leaving is hard. 
I've never liked that part. 
I'm a bit of a crier too, and I'm not great at the pretty cry. And don't even try to get me to talk while I'm crying... it's messy and sounds ridiculous. So, the only way I can avoid being a mess every day is to take one day at a time. And think of the arriving more than the leaving.

It's not that I'm trying to brush aside the people I care about. But it's that I'm trying to remember, and keep in the foreground the reason for why I'm leaving. The work that God is preparing for me to do is so much bigger than my relationships. More important than my accessibility to family and friends.
He will always provide that support group I need too! In my North American home and in my African home.

So I try to see big picture, and soak in every remaining moment and remain very very thankful for technology's ability to shrink this world.

And now, with this sprained ankle I don't have much time to sit and let it heal before I have to travel for 2 days. So please pray for quick healing and that this wouldn't hinder any of the tasks I need to accomplish in order to find and get settled into my new diggs in Nairobi.

4 comments:

  1. Man, Connie. Your people here are rooting for you and for this trip to be what God ultimately wills for you to accomplish with his people in your Nairobi home :) May you leave with His grace (two good ankles or not) and carry forth with His plan for you! And may you return with a little sumpin' for me *cough* a goat *cough* (I mean two, they need they herds) Only blessings, C-dawg
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous = Kristen. I didn't know what other profile to pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so much more than anonymous to me kristen :P I might have something for you that's even better than a goat! you'll just have to wait and see. *ooh suspense*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The time has finally arrived. It has been so exciting to watch your funds grow....will we get to see you on Sunday? You will be missed, but know that God has already gone before you....and is going to accomplish so much through your work Connie. Blessings, Dana

    ReplyDelete